ZIMMERMAN DEFENSE TEAM BACKS OUT OF IMMUNITY HEARING: IS THIS A SIGN?
Zimmerman’s defense team was due to have a pre-trial hearing where they argued there case that he should be immune from prosecution under Florida’s stand your ground law next month. His defense team has scrapped those plans in effort to better prepare for the actual trial which begins in June. Zimmerman’s defense team would still be able to pursue the stand your ground defense if they chose to do so, it just won’t offer the immunity it would have if his defense team had been prepared. Zimmerman has still plead “not guilty” and maintains that he shot Treyvan Martin in self defense for fear of his life.
Treyvan Martin would have turned 18 in February had he not been tragically killed a year ago.
WILL THEY BE PREPARED NEXT TIME?
lt will be interesting to see what happens by June, to me his defense teams failure to have been fully prepared and then canceling the pre-trial hearing which would have established his immunity from the actual trial based on the “Stand Your Ground” law in Florida. What little we have seen or heard from him or about the trial in general hasn’t come across as being very appealing in the way it presents him to the public.
Defense Team May Have Caught Break With Witness:
If this weren’t enough excitement, Zimmerman’s defense team will finally be able to question the girl who was on the phone with Martin, following her statement that she did not attend his service due to being hospitalized for trauma proven to be false. This dishonesty could discredit any testimony she would give and potentially will disqualify her as a witness.
- Teenage witness in Trayvon Martin case admits she ‘misrepresented’ herself, prosecution says (foxnews.com)
- Trayvon Martin case: Zimmerman drops stand-your-ground defence (guardian.co.uk)
- Zimmerman defense: No need for Stand Your Ground hearing (miamiherald.com)
- Zimmerman to argue self-defense, will not seek ‘stand your ground’ hearing (globalvillenews.com)
- George Zimmerman Expected at Hearing to Determine ‘Stand Your Ground’ Defense (atlantablackstar.com)
- George Zimmerman Faces Deadline in Court (blackchristiannews.com)